International Application Steps
International Students applying from their home countries should be reminded that we are a district-bound community college, in a rural setting about 85 miles southwest of Chicago, Illinois. Our closest neighboring community is Oglesby, Illinois and the population is approximately 4000.
Due to the fact that our resources are somewhat limited for international students (two examples: no public transportation or housing associated with the college), we strongly encourage our international students to have a local sponsor within the district for support needed for success. For those students who reside with a family member or exchange program host, we find they are very successful here.
The IVCC International Application is required for any student to be accepted and for consideration to be made on completion of an I-20. It includes:
- The IVCC application - hard copy included in the application materials
- Minimum TOEFL score of 68 (iBT - internet based) or 190 (CBT - computer based)
An alternative option for international students to satisfy their English proficiency requirement is through our Accuplacer assessment test in Reading and English. We now offer a virtual testing option. Here are the specifics:
The student must demonstrate proficiency in order to place into ENG 1001. The student will need to take both the Reading and the English placement tests.
Reading Accuplacer must be a score of 250 or higher. If the score is below 250, the student will not be able to place into ENG 1001.
English Placement Test:
- If the student scores 263 or higher, they’re in. No need for WritePlacer Essay.
- If the student scores 200-262, they need the follow WritePlacer Essay scores:
- A score of 4 or 5 will place students into ENG 1001 with supplemental lab ENG 0909
- A score of 6 or higher will allow for ENG 1001 without lab
- Proof of financial ability to pay tuition and fees, and bank statements, notarized
- International Student Acknowledgement Form
- Official transcripts from institutions attended (officially translated into English)
- Fall semester - completed application with all required documents must be received by June 1 for consideration for the following Fall semester
- Spring semester - completed application with all required documents must be received by November 1 for consideration for the following Spring semester
- Summer semester - completed application with all required documents must be received by April 1 for consideration for the following Summer semester
Frequently Asked Questions