International Application Steps
International Students applying from their home countries should be reminded that we are a district-bound community college, in a rural setting about 85 miles southwest of Chicago, Illinois. Our closest neighboring community is Oglesby, Illinois and the population is approximately 4000.
Due to the fact that our resources are somewhat limited for international students (two examples: no public transportation or housing associated with the college), we strongly encourage our international students to have a local sponsor within the district for support needed for success. For those students who reside with a family member or exchange program host, we find they are very successful here.
The IVCC International Student Intake Packet is required for any student to be accepted and for consideration to be made on completion of an I-20. It includes:
- Complete Online Application
- The IVCC intake forms- hard copy included in packet
- Minimum TOEFL score of 68 (iBT - internet based) or 190 (CBT - computer based)
An alternative option for international students to satisfy their English proficiency requirement is through our Accuplacer assessment test in Reading and English. We now offer a virtual testing option. Here are the specifics:
The student must demonstrate proficiency in order to place into ENG 1001. The student will need to take both the Reading and the English placement tests.
Reading Accuplacer must be a score of 250 or higher. If the score is below 250, the student will not be able to place into ENG 1001.
English Placement Test:
- If the student scores 263 or higher, they’re in. No need for WritePlacer Essay.
- If the student scores 200-262, they need the follow WritePlacer Essay scores:
- A score of 4 or 5 will place students into ENG 1001 with supplemental lab ENG 0909
- A score of 6 or higher will allow for ENG 1001 without lab
- Proof of financial ability to pay tuition and fees, and bank statements, notarized
- International Student Acknowledgement Form
- Official transcripts from institutions attended (officially translated into English) - must include date and proof of graduation
- The review of a student’s application will not begin until all academic and financial records are received.
- Fall semester - completed application with all required documents must be received by June 1 for consideration for the following Fall semester
- Spring semester - completed application with all required documents must be received by November 1 for consideration for the following Spring semester
- Summer semester - completed application with all required documents must be received by April 1 for consideration for the following Summer semester
Housing & Transportation
Illinois Valley Community College does not offer on-campus student housing. In the Illinois Valley area, there may be private housing options for students. Most of these options come unfurnished; however, a few may offer assistance in securing furnishings.
You should plan to arrive in LaSalle County at least 30 days before classes start in order to find suitable living accommodations and to make the necessary rental and transportation arrangements.
North Central Area Transit (NCAT) provides La Salle County residents public transportation to and from IVCC as well as the Ottawa Center. Due to demand, rides must be reserved at least one business day ahead of time to reserve your spot. Call (833) 433-6228 or visit ridencat.com for information.
Frequently Asked Questions