Get Set at IVCC
Readiness for college isn’t just about academics. It’s about knowing college lingo, processes, and resources. It’s about having the right technology skills. It’s about feeling a meaningful connection to people at the college. It’s about knowing how to manage yourself, your time, and your tasks, especially when college isn’t the only important aspect of your life.
Are you ready for college?
If you are, great! If not, you are like a lot of other people who start at IVCC – nervous and doubtful, but hopeful that this will be the start of something life changing. If you are ready to go, but want some support as you start, Get Set might be the pre-college experience for you.
Get Set helps new or returning students:
- Build college knowledge and connections to resources
- Gain confidence with basic technology needed at IVCC
- Brush up on general academic strategies like time management, note taking, and test preparation
- Develop new relationships
- Learn about coping strategies to thrive at college
Get Set is:
- Free for students, and offering monetary incentives for participation
- Intended to build ongoing support and relationships within the college, so participants will be paired with a mentor that they will meet with regularly throughout the semester
- Intended for students who are often under-represented and under-served at college. They may be considered low income, first generation, or within a minority group
- Launching July 25. The class is in-person only, and attendance at all sessions is required.
- Offered either as a morning section or an evening section. Morning session meets daily July 25-29 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Evening session meets July 26 and 28 and August 2, 4 and 9 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- A grant-funded pilot project, so seats are limited at this time – 15 new or returning adult learners and 15 new high school graduates will be selected for participation
The goal of Get Set is to help learners proactively build college readiness skills, strategies, and relationships so they are confidently ready to Go when the semester starts on August 15.
To make a nomination for Get Set:
- Nominations can be self-nominations or for someone else. They can be filled out by students, counselors, parents, etc...
- Completed nominations do not guarantee a spot in the program. They express an interest in, or a need for the program.
- Nominations will be accepted through July 15 or until seats are filled, and may be made via the online form.
Nominated students will receive follow-up information and have an opportunity to apply to the program. Participants will be selected by July 15, 2022.
Contact Tina Hardy at 815-224-0284 or firstname.lastname@example.org