July 2020 Board Report
Illinois Valley Community College President Jerry Corcoran Thursday outlined the college’s plan to safely deliver instruction this fall.
“Most of our fall semester classes will be online and blended except for career and technical programs, health professions, and science labs,” Corcoran said at the monthly board meeting.
Daily temperature checks will be performed on everyone entering the college at the main entrance or east campus via three stand-alone temperature check units.
“No one will be admitted unless their temperature is below 100.4,” Corcoran said.
In addition, everyone is expected to wear a face covering. Employees may remove face coverings while in their individual offices but are expected to don them when they depart.
Social-distancing guidelines will require students and employees to maintain at least six feet from each other. Where this is impossible, plexiglass walls will be installed to lessen the need for additional Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
To allow for social distancing, large rooms such as the Ralph Scriba Meeting Room (CTC 124-125), the former Math lab (B-201), lecture hall D-225 and the Dr. Mary Margaret Weeg Cultural Centre will be used for classes.
Corcoran credited Dean of Workforce Development Shane Lange for leading a committee of administrators and faculty deliberating instructional challenges.
“Shane’s group found reasonable solutions that support the health and well-being of students and employees. Everyone who had something to say was heard,” said Corcoran.
He also noted, “Everything we are proposing is in step with Illinois Community College Board recommendations.”
In a related development, athletics has prepared a “Return-to-Play” plan allowing student athletes and teams to “engage in low-risk events” provided they adhere to social-distancing, daily temperature testing by coaches, daily COVID-19 screening forms, sanitizing hands before practice and wearing face coverings.
In other business, trustees approved:
- Payment of $11,550 in annual dues to the Illinois Community College Trustees Association for legislative advocacy, statewide honors for faculty and alumni, trustee orientation and more.
- A one-year extension of the security contract with G4S Secure Solutions. G4S has provided IVCC security since 2011.
- Three separate contracts with Rehmann Technology Solutions totaling $53,292 including one year of anti-virus software for 35 servers, three years of physical space in Rehmann’s data center and three years of backup service.
- A Basic Dental Office Management certificate. The short-term, 8.5-hour credit program can be completed in the first semester of the Dental Assisting program and is tailored to students desiring employment in a dental office rather than chairside dental assisting.
- Closed session minutes of the March 12, May 18 and June 11 meetings.
The board learned:
- ICCB Executive Director Brian Durham last week advised presidents Nov. 3 will be designated a state holiday known as 2020 General Election Day. With the exception of election sites, government offices and schools will be closed. The holiday will be reflected in a revised 2020-21 academic calendar to be presented in the Aug. 13 board book.
The board learned:
- The agriculture program’s storage and routine maintenance facility just south of campus is complete and a grand opening is being planned.
- New bleachers have been installed in the gym.
- This spring, 357 graduates earned 421 degrees and certificates compared to 390 earning 470 degrees and certificates in spring 2019.
- Assessment Center proctor Amanda Coleman has resigned, assistant men’s soccer coach Christian Bitangalo resigned and truck driver training specialist Tony Mertes retired.
- Ashlee Fitzpatrick has been hired as an administrative assistant in admissions.