Economic Development – Partnering with your Community College
Community colleges create an educated and skilled workforce by increasing credential attainment, building quality career pathways, closing the skills gap, and addressing the current and future needs of the workforce. Illinois Valley Community College is committed to the economic development of the region and state of Illinois as we provide traditional and nontraditional students with smooth transitions into and across higher education and training for in-demand occupations with economic value.
IVCC is committed to working with employers considering locating to the district, as well as established employers. We support local workforce and economic development services through employer and business engagement.
Partner with IVCC! Contact Jennifer Scheri, Director, Continuing Education and Business
Illinois Valley Community College assists companies locating to the area with their hiring and training needs. In the past IVCC has served as the temporary home to companies locating to the area as facilities are completed. Company business, employee interviews, and staff orientation and training may be conducted at the college. If desired, training can be developed and facilitated by college staff and faculty, utilizing classrooms and state of the art labs. Grant funds, to offset costs of employee training, may be available through the Business Employment Skills Team, depending on occupation and training topic.
IVCC partners with business and industry in a multitude of ways:
- Chief Manufacturing Executive Networking Group – Formed per the request of local industry, this networking group consists of professionals from business, industry, workforce, education and Chambers of Commerce. Members of this group convene quarterly at IVCC to discuss workforce issues and brainstorm initiatives to promote and sustain manufacturing.
- Discover Manufacturing Career Expo – With the goal of promoting manufacturing careers to high school students, IVCC is the host of the annual Manufacturing Career Expo that is a collaborative effort of many, to include, IVCC, North Central Regional Betterment Coalition, Starved Rock Area Vocational Center, NCI Works/BEST, Inc, and approximately a dozen area employers. The Expo consists of plant tours in the morning, followed by lunch and breakout sessions on careers in manufacturing in the afternoon. Approximately 250 students attend annually. Additional information, as well as the promo video can be found at this link. https://www.ivcc.edu/businesstrainingcenter/manufacturingcareerexpo.php
- Career Expo – Targeted for junior high students and high school underclassman, students spend the day at the college meeting employers and exploring STEM careers.
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math camps for youth - Offered by the Office of Continuing Education and Business Services, an array of daily and weekly in person and online STEM summer camps are offered for ages 5-12.
- Industry specific camps for teens ages 13-18 in manufacturing, welding and automotive and healthcare.
IVCC can assist from start to finish …
Career Services - CCJobnet Online Job Board
Through IVCC’s Career Services Office, employers can post jobs that are available for viewing to students, alumni, community members and members of neighboring school districts. Jobs are also shared with instructors who are asked to share the relevant openings with their class during.
Testing – IVCC can developing and administer employment and career advancement tests to assist with promotion. Post COVID, this has been the Business Training Center’s primary focus as companies struggle to attract a trained workforce.
Workforce Training and Apprenticeships– College representatives work with company leaders to develop both Department of Labor and company specific apprenticeship programs in an effort to build a talent pipeline and train a skilled workforce. Employees attend classes at IVCC and then are trained on- the-job at the work site.
Customized Training - The Business Training Center offers a wide variety of courses, customized in content and course length, specifically to meet your workforce training needs.