About Jacobs Library
Though the book collection for the library began in 1967, the library's history goes back to 1924 when LPO Junior College, IVCC's predecessor, and LaSalle-Peru High School shared the same library. In the summer of 1968, when the college campus was moved across the river to the interim campus, the library consisted of 6,000 titles and was operated for the first semester without shelves or furniture.
After four years on the interim campus, the library was moved to the permanent campus in the summer of 1972. On December 1, 1972, the library was officially dedicated the Jacobs Library, in honor of Dr. Henry Jacobs (1912-1971), a member of the original Board of Trustees of IVCC.
On December 10, 1975, IVCC was designated a Federal Depository, and on July 21, 1977, it became an Illinois State Depository. With this designation, the library received both federal and state documents free of charge from the U.S. Government Printing Office and from the State of Illinois. The depository collection had reached 25,000 units when it was moved to its permanent home in the library, in December of 1977. As of Summer 2011 Jacobs Library ended its participation in the depository program.
Now after almost half a century of operation, Jacobs Library has a working collection of over 50,000 items, including books, ebooks, audiobooks, bound periodicals, online databases, films, streaming videos, microfilm, microfiche, video tapes, and DVDs. The library also has an active learning space for library instruction.
Jacobs Library provides resources to enhance the IVCC learning programs and services that enable our community to seek, evaluate, and use information. Access to worldwide information sources and culturally enriching materials is provided through standard library practices, cooperation with other libraries, and innovative uses of technology.
Jacobs Library of Illinois Valley Community College was established to provide students, faculty members, and staff with the enrichment materials necessary for success in the first two years of college. To this end, a central LRC exists wherein all materials are concentrated and from which they are circulated.
Jacobs Library, therefore, states the following objectives:
- To provide a collection to meet the varied needs of the college community:
- Materials to supplement the course offerings in all divisions of the college.
- Reference tools in all needed classifications.
- Books, periodicals, newspapers, biography, and fiction in both research and leisure reading categories.
- To assist the individual students, faculty, and staff members in the complete use of the library by providing a variety of services:
- Locating information.
- Consulting on research, reserves, and bibliography
- Negotiating interlibrary loans
- Circulating media materials
- To extend reference and library services, using the Jacobs Library Collection, to all persons of the district.
- To provide interlibrary loan to any requesting library.
Book Drop - For greater convenience in returning library materials book drops are located at the entrance outside the CTC building and just outside the entrance to the library in Building A.
Security - The exit door of the library is equipped with a circulation control made by 3M. The purpose of this control is to remind users to check out ALL library materials before leaving the library. The library then has an accurate record of the location of its holdings and can be of greater service to its users. When library materials are carried through the exit without first being checked out, an alarm sounds. When this happens, the patron must open all backpacks and bags and show the contents to the staff member at the circulation desk.
General Operating Policies
The library provides a convenient, comfortable, and quiet place on campus for students to study and do research. It is the responsibility of all patrons of the library to maintain this atmosphere in order to ensure the effective use of its facilities.
Student Code of Conduct Library