Tips for Transition to College - Disability Services - Know the Steps
Welcome to Illinois Valley Community College. If you are new or transitioning from another school and have a disability you will want to make the Disability Services Office one of your first stops. If you have an accommodation of a test reader or use of a calculator for math tests, please check in with the Disability Services Office (DSO) before you take your placement test so that you can receive the needed accommodations.
- Applying to IVCC is step 1 - Follow the link on the page
Financial Aid - Grants and loans that help you pay for college.
- Have it done by mid-November for best consideration for state funds. You can apply beyond this date, also.
- Get help from high school counselors or IVCC staff - 815-224-0438
- The Financial Aid Guide can help you with many common questions.
– Testing in reading, English, math, so you are placed in classes of the appropriate level (Assessment Center – 815-224-0542)
Online appointment scheduling for the Assessment Center is now available. Schedule My Appointment
Counseling - Meet with a counselor to schedule your classes or make an academic plan (815-224-0360)
- New freshmen with disabilities may be able to have wrap around transition services between counseling and Disability Services upon request. Talk to Tina Hardy, (815)214-0284 or email@example.com
- Decide whether to disclose your disability or not if you meet with other counselors
- Don't overwhelm yourself for the first semester - 12 credits (about 4 classes) is a full time load
- https://www.ivcc.edu/counseling.aspx?id=25707 Link to the freshman counseling and registration to set your initial appointment.
Accommodations - Get the academic supports you need to succeed through Disability Services. Have it done by: July 1 for fall, December 1 for spring, and May 15th for summer
- Meet with a Disability Service Coordinator
- Bring your 11th and 12th grade IEP and class schedule
- Be ready to discuss your disability and the supports that helped you in high school
Contact Information -
Tina Hardy - 815-224-0284 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- FAX - 815-224-0295
- Address - 815 N. Orlando Smith Road, Oglesby, IL 61348
- Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and in the Ottawa office on Tuesdays