Tips for Transition to College - Disability Services - Know the Steps

Welcome to Illinois Valley Community College. If you are new or transitioning from another school and have a disability you will want to make the Disability Services Office one of your first stops. If you have an accommodation of a test reader or use of a calculator for math tests, please check in with the Disability Services Office (DSO) before you take your placement test so that you can receive the needed accommodations.


Step 1:

   Apply  to IVCC - https://www.ivcc.edu/apply

  • Applying to IVCC is step 1 - Follow the link on the page       


Step 2: 

Financial Aid -  Grants and loans that help you pay for college.

  • www.fafsa.ed.gov

  • Have it done by mid-November for best consideration for state funds.  You can apply beyond this date, also.
  • Get help from high school counselors or IVCC staff - 815-224-0438
  • The Financial Aid Guide can help you with many common questions.



Step 3:


Placement – Testing in reading, English, math,  so you are placed in classes of the appropriate level  (Assessment Center – 815-224-0542)
  • Have it done by April 1 for fall and summer admission, and October 1 for spring admission
  • Send your IEP or other documentation to Disability Services prior to planning a test date so we can assure you have the accommodations you're eligible for.  Possible accommodations could include, but are not limited to:  calculator use, test reader, extended time on essay writing, and use of spell/grammar check on the essay.  You can FAX, scan and e-mail, mail, or bring in your documentation.
  • https://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org/login     This site gives you feedback on your answers and allows you to take full practice tests.

Online appointment scheduling for the Assessment Center is now available.  Schedule My Appointment

Step 4: 

Counseling - Meet with a counselor to schedule your classes or make an academic plan (815-224-0360)

  • New freshmen with disabilities may be able to have wrap around transition services between counseling and Disability Services upon request.  Talk to Tina Hardy, (815)214-0284 or tina_hardy@ivcc.edu
  • Decide whether to disclose your disability or not if you meet with other counselors
  • Don't overwhelm yourself for the first semester - 12 credits (about 4 classes) is a full time load
  • https://www.ivcc.edu/counseling.aspx?id=25707 Link to the freshman counseling and registration to set your initial appointment.

Step 5:

 Accommodations - Get the academic supports you need to succeed through Disability Services.  Have it done by: July 1 for fall, December 1 for spring, and May 15th for summer

  • Meet with a Disability Service Coordinator
  • Bring your 11th and 12th grade IEP and class schedule
  • Be ready to discuss your disability and the supports that helped you in high school

Contact Information -

Tina Hardy - 815-224-0284 or tina_hardy@ivcc.edu,
  • FAX - 815-224-0295
  • Address - 815 N. Orlando Smith Road, Oglesby, IL 61348
  • Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and in the Ottawa office on Tuesdays