IVCC's Automotive Technology Program is a Master Certified Automotive Technician Training Program
What is NATEF?
The motor vehicle repair industry has taken on a new sophistication.
It requires advanced technical training and computer literacy. Today's automotive technician must have: thorough knowledge of automotive systems and components, good computer skills, excellent communication skills, above average mechanical aptitude, good reasoning ability, ability to read and follow instructions and manual dexterity.
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, jobs as automotive service professionals will be plentiful for persons who finish training programs in community college automotive training programs.
The National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) offers certification for technician training programs. The purpose of the automotive technician training certification program is to improve the quality of training offered at secondary and post-secondary, public and proprietary schools.
Programs can earn ASE certification upon the recommendation of the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF).
NATEF was founded to develop, encourage, and improve
automotive technician education. NATEF examines the structure
and resources of training programs and evaluates them against
nationally accepted standards of quality. NATEF's precise national
standards reflect the skills that students must master. ASE
certification through NATEF evaluation ensures that certified
training programs meet or exceed industry-recognized, uniform
standards of excellence.
Benefits of NATEF Certification:
- Provides a means of identifying quality programs meeting national
- Ensures that training received is current, complete, and applicable.
- Ensures a pool of well-trained' entry-level technicians.
- Encourages involvement with the schools through the advisory committee.
For the automotive service industry:
- Encourages respect for professions within automotive service.
- Increases professionalism within the industry.
Master Certification means IVCC's Automotive Technology Program is Certified in the following
1. Engine Repair
2. Manual Drive Trains and Axles
3. Automatic Transmissions/Transaxles
5. Suspension and Steering
6. Electrical Systems
7. Engine Performance
8. Heating and Air Conditioning