Contact: - 815.224.0446


Costs and Financial Issues

These questions are designed to help parents and students navigate through the financial aid process, as well as to provide information about refunds, costs, and payment deadlines.

How do I pay for classes? When is payment due?

There are five methods for payment of classes:

a. In person – The Cashier’s Office is located on the main level of the IVCC-Peter Miller Community Technology Center in room 101.

b. By mail to
        Attn. Cashier
        815 N. Orlando Smith Ave.
        Oglesby, IL  61348

c. By phone – Credit card payments can be made by phone at (815) 224-0213.  Discover, Visa and Master Card are accepted.

d. By fax - Credit card information may be faxed to (815) 224-0691.  Please include credit card number, expiration date and name of card holder.

e. Payment Plan--payment plans are available for IVCC students.  To learn more about payment plans, contact the Cashier at (815) 224-0213 or visit the eCashier website.

Students receive a notice of the tuition deadline when they register for classes.  A statement is also sent to the student approximately two weeks prior to the payment deadline.  Students who register for classes after the pre-registration period must pay their tuition by the following Wednesday.  Wednesday registrations are due that day.


What is financial aid?

There are several types of financial aid:

a.     Grants--financial aid that does not have to be repaid.

b.     Loans--borrowed money from the federal government that must be repaid with interest.

c.      Work study--lets you earn money while enrolled in school by working on campus.

d.      Scholarships--can be merit-based or need-based.


For more information on these various types, go to the Financial Aid webpage.


What type of financial aid is available for part-time students?

The Federal Pell Grant and the State of Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant are currently available to students enrolled in less than 6 credit hours.  Other forms of financial aid require enrollment in at least 6 credit hours.


Who should apply for financial aid?

All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid.  In order to be eligible for financial assistance the applicant must:

a.      Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.

b.      Have a high school diploma, GED certificate, or demonstrate an “ability to benefit” from college-level instruction by taking the Test of Adult Basic Education. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

c.      Not be in default on a student loan, nor have borrowed in excess of established Title IV limits.

d.      Not owe a refund on a Federal or State grant received at any previously attended school.

e.      Be registered with Selective Service if a male and required by Federal law.

f.      Be enrolled at least half-time in an associate degree or certificate program at least 16 credit hours in length. In certain cases students enrolled less than half-time may qualify for a partial Federal Pell Grant or a partial Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant.

g.     Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress while completing your program of study.  A copy of the policy may be obtained in the Financial Aid Office.


What scholarships are available?

The IVCC Foundation awards over 50 scholarships each year.   Approximately 100 students receive scholarships funds through the generosity of various friends of IVCC including businesses, civic organizations and private citizens.  Criteria for each scholarship has been established by the sponsor and varies with each award.

The Financial Aid Office also posts a listing of any scholarship applications that come in from outside organizations and agencies.  Student may inquire at the Financial Aid Office for applications.

The Financial Aid page on IVCC’s website also has information concerning scholarship searches.


How and when does my child apply for financial aid?

  • For grants, loans, or work-study:

Students and/or parents should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early in the spring as possible (as soon as their federal tax return is filed) to establish their eligibility for the following school year .  Students must apply for financial aid once each year.

  • For scholarships:

The IVCC Foundation Scholarship application is available in the Financial Aid Office in January of each year.  Most scholarship applications are available from January – March and the scholarships are awarded in the spring of the year for the following fall semester.


How much does it cost to attend IVCC?

Tuition and standard fees per credit hour effective Summer 2016:  $124.00*
Cost for a three-hour course (tuition & standard fees only):  $372.00* *
Cost for in-district students.  A non-refundable $5 registration fee per term is charged.

Tuition and Fees
Tuition for in-district residents $122.60 per credit hour
Standard fee $7.40 per credit hour
Registration fee $5 per semester, non-refundable
Laboratory fee Some courses have fees to cover the cost of consumable supplies
Out-of-district residents **367.26 per credit hour
Out-of-state residents **394.19 per credit hour

**Tuition and fees are subject to change by District 513 Board of Trustees action.**

Certain classes have a course/lab fee attached to cover supplies or equipment.

For more information on tuition and fees, see the IVCC Cashier page.

For more information on how much you can SAVE by attending IVCC, click here!


How much do books cost?

Books can cost a full-time student between $300 - $600 per semester depending on the program they are enrolled in.


What are some possible unexpected costs?

Certain classes have a course/lab fee to cover costs of materials, computers, printers, etc.  Students may find lab fees ranging from $10 to $200 depending on the program they are enrolled in.


Can I get a refund if my child drops a class?

Students must contact the Records Office to drop classes.  Refunds of tuition will be made on the following basis:

Traditional courses (16 weeks): Student must drop on or before the 10th day of the term of the course in order to receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees, excluding a non-refundable $5.00 registration fee.

 Non-traditional courses (less than 16 weeks): The drop/refund period varies according to the length of class. Students must drop prior to the withdrawal date stated on their registration statement in order to receive a refund.

The Cashier’s Office will issue refunds after the 10th day of the semester.


Can my child sell books back? How does that work?

  • Buyback of textbooks takes place during finals week of each semester.  Follett Campus Resources, a wholesale book company, conducts the buyback.  If the bookstore is not buying your textbook, Follett may purchase it from you for its current market value, as determined by Follett.

  • The dates and times of the next scheduled buyback are on the Bookstore voicemail at (815) 224-0311.

  • If the Bookstore is buying your textbook, you will receive one-half of the new selling price from the beginning of the semester.

  • Students often ask:  “Why aren’t you buying back my book?”  The reasons may include:

The book will not be used during the next semester.

The instructor has changed books.

The book has gone out of print.

The book has changed editions.


Can my child get money back for book return if he/she drops a class?

Textbooks for classes lasting 16 weeks may be returned for any reason within 10 business days from the start of the term or the start date of a telecourse.

Textbooks for classes lasting eight weeks may be returned within five business days following the first day of class for any reason.

Textbooks for classes lasting four weeks or less may be returned until the class meets for the second time.

Optional books and all other merchandise may be returned for two weeks from the date of purchase.

Important things to know:

  • Students must have their cash register receipt.
  • Shrink-wrapped books must not be opened.
  • New books must still be in brand new condition.
  • Used books must be in clean, resalable condition.


Are jobs available on campus and how does my child apply for them?

There are many student-worker jobs on campus ranging from Bookstore cashier to grounds crew.  Many of the offices and labs on campus hire students.   The college also hires student tutors. 

If a student is interested in working on campus, ask for an application in the Financial Aid Office.  The Financial Aid Office acts as a clearinghouse and each department on campus has access to the applications and will interview and hire their own workers.


How many hours per week should my child work if going to school full-time?

Studies have shown that students who work 20-22 hours per week are most likely to succeed in college.  This allows for balancing of time, yet isn't too much to interfere with study time. Going too much over 22 hours per week may cause some troubles with student success!

Back to the main page