Creating Your Cover Letter
Ask yourself the following questions before you begin writing your cover letter...
1. What does the prospective employer need?
Which skills, knowledge and experience would be an asset in the job you are targeting?
2. What are your objectives?
You are applying for a specific job and trying to get an interview.
3. What are three to five qualities that you would bring to this employer or this job?
If you are responding to a job listing or classified ad, then those qualities should obviously be the job requirements mentioned in the ad.
4. How can you match your experience to the job?
What are at least two specific accomplishments you can mention which give credit to the qualities you identified in the prior question?
5. Why do you want to work for this particular organization or person?
What do you know about them? What is it about their products or services. philosophy, mission, organizational culture, goals and needs that relates to your own background values and objectives? Do your research.
Once these five questions have been answered, you are ready to begin creating your cover letter!
Back to Listing