Rubrics for Assessment
A rubric is an assessment tool which is used to measure, (assess) a students work. It is a scoring guide, (ussually in a table format), that defines how a students performance is assessed on a full range of criteria rather than a single numeric score. The rubric is a working guide for students and teachers and is ussually handed out before the assignment begins, to make students aware of how their work will be graded.
Advantages of Rubrics
- Rubrics help improve students performance because they clearly define how the student's work will be graded.
- They make assessment more objective and consistent.
- Rubrics reduce the amount of time intructors spend evaluating students' work.
- When properly used they provide students with more informative feedback.
Characteristics of Rubrics
- They focus on a clearly defined objective.
- Rubrics use a range to specify performance.
- They contain specific performance characteristics arranged in levels indicating the degree to which an objective has been met.
Resources for Creating Rubrics
Creating a Rubric
Rubistar Rubric Sharing