February 2008 Board Meeting Report
Illinois Valley Community College Board of Trustees granted tenure to three faculty members on Wednesday evening. Vincent Brolley, psychology instructor; Marjorie Francisco, nursing instructor; and Eric Schroeder, environmental biology instructor all received tenure status.
"Faculty members are eligible for tenure after they complete their third year of teaching. Tenure review involves a rigorous review process that includes classroom evaluations, student evaluations and the development and presentation of a portfolio of their accomplishments," stated Sue Isermann, interim vice president for academic affairs.
The board approved an articulation agreement with Starved Rock Associates for Vocational and Technical Education to offer dual credit opportunities with Streator Township High School for keyboarding and Microsoft Office I and LaSalle Peru Township High School Area Career Center for drafting and welding. All current articulation agreements with IVCC and Starved Rock Associates for Vocational and Technical Education will remain in place to continue to allow other high schools to have the opportunity for their students to earn articulated credit through proficiency testing. "This is an opportunity for area high school career and technical education students to begin to make the connection that college level education is the next step in their career path.," said Sue Isermann, interim vice president for academic affairs.
A tuition increase by credit hour was approved by the board of trustees. IVCC needed to consider increasing its combined tuition and universal fee rate to balance its budget regardless of the rule requiring community colleges that receive an equalization grant to be at a level that is at least 85% of the state average. The board approved beginning with the summer term of 2008, a two dollar tuition increase raising the current tuition from $58.50 to $60.50 per credit hour, increasing tuition for students enrolled in the Early Entry College program courses from $29.25 to $30.25 per credit hour and adjusting 111 course fees.
In other business, the board designated the fiscal year 2009 budget to be July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2009, adopted the budget calendar as presented and authorized Dr. Dave Louis, interim president to begin the process of preparing the tentative budget for IVCC.
The board heard:
- A presentation on the Academic Quality Improvement Program by Jamie Gahm, director of continuing education and business services.
The board approved:
- Stipends for pay periods ending: Jan. 12, 26 and Feb. 9
- The purchase of 1,076 square yards of Lee Carpet tiles and 22 rolls of Permalink adhesive at the cost of $30,086 through the Illinois Community College System Procurement Consortium.
- The purchase of 100 computers and five laptops for Dell in the amount of $88,778.
- The creation of a full-time custodian position with two custodians out indefinitely on medical leave.
- Sabbatical leave for Jeff Fesperman, geology instructor for the academic year 2008-2009.
- Elizabeth Kunkel as the 2008 Gigi Campbell Student Trustee Excellence award nominee.
- The capital project application forms for a new parking lot and new truck driver training facility, revised cost estimates for repairing roads, repaving of the current east campus parking lot and truck driver skill path project.
- An agreement with the Illinois Valley Chapter of the American National Red Cross that would provide a temporary physical facility to be used as an alternative office space if the Red Cross’s primary offices were either destroyed or disabled.
The board accepted:
- A bid from Arthur Machinery, Inc. for a vertical milling machine for the amount of $14,155.
- A bid from Area Rental Sales for an aerial work platform in the amount of $8,649.
- A proposal for Trust Account services from Citizens First National Bank.
The board authorized:
- The college to officially notify the Sheridan Correctional Center instructional and academic support staff of the annual reduction in force, subject to the continuation of the funding contract from the Illinois Department of Corrections.
- The business office to seek bids for a pre-owned, articulating boom lift at an estimated cost of $25,000.
- The business office to seek bids for the installation of carpet tiles at an estimated cost of $14,500.
The board adopted:
- A resolution authorizing Zukowski Law offices to act as the district’s representative and file a request to intervene in the matter of the Crescent Ridge, LLC appeal to the Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board.