May 2006 Board Meeting Report
Illinois Valley Community College Board of Trustees entered into a contract agreement with Dr. Larry Huffman to serve as the college’s ninth president. Dr. Huffman, the current director of business programs in the school of graduate studies at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais and former president of Kankakee Community College will officially assume the office of president of IVCC on July 1.
"I am honored to be selected as Illinois Valley Community College's ninth president. The dedicated efforts of many individuals during the college's 82-year history have contributed to the development of an outstanding institution where teaching and learning are top priorities and 'community' is truly emphasized. I look forward to working with the Board of Trustees, the students and staff of the college, and the business, municipal and legislative leaders in the district to establish goals and implement initiatives that will lead to an even brighter future for IVCC," stated Dr. Huffman.
"On a personal note, my wife, Chris, and I are pleased to be returning to the Illinois Valley. I have many fond memories of my previous service at IVCC, and Chris, a native of Tonica and an alumna of IVCC, is coming back home. We have visited this area frequently over the years to see family and friends, and we are looking forward to once again becoming residents of the IVCC district," concluded Dr. Huffman.
Johnson Controls, Inc. offered a presentation to the board on energy performance contracting. Energy performance contracting would allow the college to complete energy savings improvements within an existing budget by financing them with money saved through reduced utility expenditures, offer a procurement mechanism that utilizes the energy and operational savings from the facility improvement measures to fund the project and project financing that is flexible for the college.
"Health insurance and energy/utilities are two broad categories of cost drivers that can have quite an impact on a college's operating budget. In the last few years, we've done a very good job controlling our health insurance costs; now we need to do the same with energy and utilities. I would like to see us conduct an energy audit and consider the merits of performance contracting to help us achieve that goal," said Dr. Jerry Corcoran, vice-president for business services and finance/treasurer.
IVCC Board of Trustees adopted an Early Entry College agreement with the board of education of Ottawa Township High School. This agreement establishes the provisions and guidelines for the college to offer dual credit courses at OHS. "In this agreement with OHS, the courses will be taught by high school faculty who are qualified to serve as adjunct instructors at IVCC who are teaching the course as part of the high school's Advanced Placement program," stated Dr. Harriet Custer, vice-president for academic affairs.
The board authorized:
· The business office to seek bids for the annual inspection and testing of the college’s Notifier Emergency Alarm System at an estimated cost of $12,000.
· The purchase of a new Colleague server and storage area network at $174,136
· The administration to enter into an agreement with Midwest Energy Alliance, LLC to negotiate the purchase of electricity on IVCC’s behalf.
In other action the board approved:
· The appointment of Glenna S. Jones as director of human resources.
· The stipends for payrolls ending April 8, 22 and May 6.
· A change order to the roadway project by applying $13,285 of the $21,730 contingency to build a road to the baseball field.
· A request from a student applying for partial student support (chargeback) to attend Parkland College.
The board heard:
· Heidi R. Molthen was hired as the director of the learning ladder.
· Christopher W. Herman was hired as the counselor for student support services/project success.
· David L. Wilcoxson, board vice-chair earned the first Trustee Education Award and Dr. Charles R. Novak, interim president, was awarded the 2006 Certificate of Merit through the Illinois Community College Trustee Association.
· The IVCC graphic design students designed the 2006 membership decal for the Ottawa Area Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
· From the Vice-Chancellor at the University of Cape Coast in Ghana expressing appreciation for the large quantity of books donated to the University through Dr. Oheneba Akyeampong, the former 2004-2005 Fulbright Scholar to IVCC.