December 2006 Board Meeting Report
On Tuesday night the Illinois Valley Community College Board of Trustees approved the 2006 tax levy, which is based on a projected tax rate of 40.41 cents per $100 assessed valuation, or approximately nine percent less than last year’s actual tax rate of 44.37 cents. "Our actual extension last year was approximately $10.7 million which compares to this year's projected extension of approximately $10.2 million, based on EAV growth of slightly under five percent. Although we hope the district's EAV ends up growing by more than five percent, our objective for the last five years has been to prepare a levy that maximizes what we need in property tax revenue for operations without exceeding five percent in the aggregate,” stated Dr. Jerry Corcoran, vice president for business services and finance/treasurer.
In other financial matters, the board authorized the administration to proceed with seeking bids for: a utility vehicle with an option to purchase a snow plow blade, the summer/fall 2007 college class schedule and to accept bids of $13,600 for the 2000 Daewoo G30 Forklift from Material Handling Services, $15,000 from Bradfield’s Computer Supply for 12 Canon RE-455X document cameras and $15,386 from Action Printing for the 2007-2009 college catalog.
The board authorized the acceptance of:
- Stipends for pay periods ending on Nov. 18 and Dec. 2.
- A proposal from Collegiate Consulting Consortium for consulting services to include reviewing the present compensation and classification system at a cost of $6,000 plus applicable travel related costs.
The board approved:
- The purchase of a Krimesite Imager in the amount of $14,995 from Sirchie.
- A revised articulation agreement with the Starved Rock Area Vocational/Technical Education in early childhood education.
- The early entry college agreement with LaSalle-Peru Township High School.
In other business the board:
- Heard presentations on the academic blueprint for teaching and learning by Dr. Stephen Charry, history professor and Dr. Harriet Custer, vice president for academic affairs and on the college’s career services by Sharon Barthelemy, coordinator of career services.
- Accepted the resignation of Lora Vasiliauskas, psychology professor effective May 19, 2007.
- Accepted the resignation of Judith Whitley-Hill, sociology professor effective December 19.
- Learned of the resignation of Dan Leonard as assistant women’s basketball coach effective December 6.