August 2006 Board Meeting Report
Illinois Valley Community College board of trustees approved the resolution to adopt the fiscal year 2007 budget as presented at Wednesday night’s meeting. The tentative fiscal year 2007 budget has been on display in the business office of the college since July 27.
Two-hundred thirty-one degrees and certificates were conferred by the board. "Our number of summer graduates has been consistent over the last two years. We had an interesting combination of graduates this time with a mixture of established programs, new programs, Sheridan programs and students earning multiple degrees and certificates," stated Tracy Morris, Director of Admissions and Records.
The director of athletics, Mike Riley made a presentation to the board providing an overview of the intramural sports programs and intercollegiate athletics offered at the college.
The board approved the recommendation by IVCC’s administration to enter into an intergovernmental agreement with the city of Peru that supports the creation of a planned industrial park tax increment financing district. Because the TIF district is located in the college’s district, there could be some negative impact on the college’s real estate tax base without the agreement. The city has agreed to reimburse the college for expenditures for capital costs, job training and advanced vocational and career education from the real estate tax increment created by the increase in the equalized assessed valuation on a graduated scale for the life of the TIF district.
In other actions the board approved:
- An increase of $40 per credit hour in the part-time faculty pay scale, effective this fall semester.
- The ratification of the following: an inter-fund loan of $825,000 from the college’s working cash fund to the education fund to cover a deficit in operating cash; the transfer of $252,029 from the education fund to the auxiliary enterprises fund to support athletics and cultural events; and the use of budgeted contingency of $180,000 in operations and maintenance fund for capital outlay expenditures.
- The stipends for payroll ending July 15 and Aug. 12.
- The solicitation of bids for electronics and electricity instructional supplies.
- The acceptance of a bid of $9,200 from D. M. Mattson, McLean to inspect the college’s Notifier Emergency Alarm System.
- Partial support for a student attending the dietetic technician Associate in Applied Science degree program offered at Harper College.
- Pay increases of up to 3.5% for non-teaching administrative and support staff not affected by a labor agreement, contingent upon approval of each employee’s supervisor.
- Employment contracts for the IVCC’s vice-presidents for fiscal year 2007 with 3.5% salary increases and duties, benefits and other conditions as outlined in their individual contracts.
- The appointment of Janice M. Sharp as the Sheridan Cooperative Work Training/Bridge Instructor assigned to the Sheridan Correctional Center.
The board learned:
- Effective Spring 2007 the college will institute a new registration period to transact student registration prior to the first class meeting.
- The annual college auction netted $2,515.
- IVCC will enter into a thirty-six month lease with JCJ Trucking, Inc. for two tractors and two trailers at an estimated cost of $154,080.
- Of the staff resignation of Lisa Witalka, purchasing assistant.