April 2006 Board Meeting Report
Illinois Valley Community College board of trustees accepted the bid of Trovero Construction of LaSalle in the amount of $217,300 and approved a contingency amount of $21,730 to repair the campus roadway at the Wednesday night board meeting.
A program overview of technology in teaching and learning was presented by Emily Vescogni, director of information technology and the IVCC bookstore was featured by Lauren Sandberg, bookstore manager.
Sandburg presented information on the national issue of textbooks and the college’s response to the rising cost for students. “By the end of February 2006, 31% of text sales for fall and spring were used books which was an increase of 5% in just 12 months. We are focusing on increasing our number of used text books through several methods.” said Sandburg.
The board authorized the business office to seek bids to refinish the gymnasium floor at an estimated cost of $11,500. It has been approximately ten years since the gym floor has been completely refinished. The scope of the work would consist of sanding to bare wood, applying new game lines, artwork and four coats of sealer.
The board agreed to share the costs with other taxing bodies associated with the Crescent Ridge Wind Farm assessment appeals process in order to protect the college's tax base.
In other action the board:
- Accepted the retirement of Jan Peterson, professor of manufacturing technology.
- Approved the sabbatical leave for Koshu Jagasia for the spring semester of 2007.
- Learned of the appointment of Michael J. Kwasniewski as custodian.
- Approved the contract between the American Federation of Teachers Local 1810, Sheridan Correctional Center and the board.
- Approved the stipend for payroll ending March 26, 2006 as presented.
- Authorized the administration to seek requests for proposals for a new food service provider.
- Approved the invoice in the amount of $1907 for membership in the Association of Community College Trustees for fiscal year 2007.
- Authorized the business office to accept the contract with Gordon, Stockman and Waugh, P.C. for audit services over three years for the amount of $26,000 in 2006, $27,000 in 2007, and $28,000 in 2008.