May 2005 Board Meeting Report
Dr. Jean Goodnow, president of Illinois Valley Community College presented the annual campus update to the Board of Trustees during the Wednesday night board meeting. Dr. Goodnow summarized the pinnacle points and successes of the academic year for IVCC. Some of the 2005 highlights included: 436 degrees, 460 certificates conferred with 61 registered nurses, 60 licensed practical nurses and 200 GED recipients; environmental scanning, forecasting and strategic planning with community members contributing to the facilities planning; nursing program expansion and renovation; gymnasium elevator and electronic front sign installed; third floor campus interconnects added; 22 companies served; 77 customized courses for businesses added; 1,102 employees trained; Fulbright scholar assigned; $400,000 grant award for Integrated Systems Technology; new welding lab created with $160,000 state grant; phlebotomy certificate added; and IVCC foundation scholarships awarded $95,000 to 163 students. Cory Tomasson, Coordinator of Student Activities, presented an update on student elections and the twenty six active clubs and organizations as Tara Coburn, Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Advisor, spoke on the induction of students to PTK, the hallmarks of the organizations, scholarships, activities, recognitions and conventions.
The board authorized the business office to purchase the "Create-A-Lab" Solution nursing lab equipment from Laerdal Medical Corporation, as the sole provider, in the amount of $76,253 as funded through Carl Perkins and Technical Preparation grant dollars. This equipment will allow IVCC to respond to the board request for the expansion of the nursing program.
The Illinois Public Higher Education Cooperative (IPHEC) is a consortium formed in the mid 1970’s by the state universities of Illinois to enable cooperative consolidated competitive bids on purchases of generic commodities and services. The board learned that IVCC has been invited to join the consortium in order to benefit from the group’s purchasing power and favorable pricing. The board took action and approved the joining of IPHEC consortium to enable cooperative consolidated competitive bids on purchases of generic commodities and services.
The board learned that the five year sponsorship agreement between IVCC and Pepsi-Cola General Bottlers, Inc. will expire at the end of this fiscal year. The board authorized the administration to proceed with the process of seeking proposals for a new official beverage sponsor agreement.
The board also:
- Approved the Sheridan Faculty contract as presented.
- Approved the recommendation of the college administration to update the personnel portion of the board policy manual with the recommended changes to board policies 3012 and 3016 as presented.
- Approved the appointments of Eric S. Schroeder as the Environmental Biology Instructor and Susan Koepke as the Accounting Instructor assigned to the Division of Natural Sciences and Business; Marjorie L. Francisco as the Nursing Instructor assigned to the Division of Health Professions; Vincent D. Brolley as the Psychology Instructor assigned to the Division of Humanities, Fine Arts, and Social Sciences; and Tony D. Killian as the Dean for the Division of Humanities, Fine Arts, and Social Sciences for the 2005-2006 academic year.
- Learned of the resignations of: Barbara J. Champeaux, Purchasing Assistant, Julie Sherbeyn Assistant Volleyball Coach and Tommy Canale, Assistant Basketball Coach.
- Learned of the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting presented to Cheryl Roelfsema, Controller and Jerry Corcoran Vice President for Business Services and Finance/Treasurer for their comprehensive annual financial report for fiscal year 2004. This certificate was presented by the Government Finance Officers Association of the Unites States and Canada to government units and public employee retirement systems whose comprehensive annual financial reports (CAFR’s) achieve the highest standards in government accounting and financial reporting.