March 2005 Board Meeting Report
The Illinois Valley Community College Board learned Wednesday that college President Jean Goodnow has been elected to the national board of the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC).
"This prestigious honor is a testament to Dr. Goodnow’s stature as a national community college leader," said board chair Deborah Sweeden, "and recognition for transforming IVCC into a model community college."
The AACC, the primary advocacy organization for the nation's 1,100 community colleges, represents some 10 million students.
Goodnow is one of just 24 elected members on the AACC’s 32-member Board of Directors. She will serve a three-year term.
"What a heartfelt honor and the culmination of many years of service," said Goodnow. "It is a privilege to represent IVCC and receive national recognition for our college and the entire state of Illinois.
"I give full credit to our board, faculty, staff and administration for their support and indispensable contributions to this college. It is an honor to receive the approval of so many respected colleagues. I will work diligently to represent our district well," Goodnow added.
In other business, Goodnow discussed the college’s progress toward 2004-05 goals. Goodnow said among the college’s top priorities are increasing enrollments and implementing Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) principles.
Dr. Harriet Custer, Vice President for Academic Affairs, in a report on the implementation of these goals, said the college is working to improve strategic planning, streamline the committee structure, develop a staff guidebook and revising new staff orientation and performance review systems to include CQI.
The board also:
- Learned physical science lab instructor Larry Ault of Ottawa has earned IVCC’s 2005 Faculty Excellence Award. Goodnow said several students nominated Ault for the award.
- Accepted the $163,700 bid of Vanguard Contractors of Pekin for the $180,000 elevator installation project in buildings A and E.
- Approved bids totaling $41,465 for classroom multi-media and audio-visual equipment. Winning bidders include CDW-G of Vernon Hills, $25,450; Valiant MC of South Hackensack, N.J., $13,692; Curriculum Productions of Churchville, Penn., $1,798; and Electronics Supply of La Salle, $525.
- Approved the appointment of Loar C. Wells as Director of Student Support Services. Wells worked previously as an instructional designer at Accenture in St. Charles and as a graduate counselor at Northern Illinois University.
- Accepted the resignation of Peggy Blair, Program Coordinator at the Sheridan Correctional Center. Blair has accepted the position of business administrator at the Illinois Department of Corrections’ Youth Center in Joliet.