April 2005 Board Meeting Report
At the Wednesday night meeting of the Illinois Valley Community College Board of Trustees the official vote was canvassed and the analysis resulted in the seating of incumbent Paula Endress, and newly elected Tom Setchell and David Mallery. With the election, the board was re-organized as follows: Deb Sweeden as Board Chair, Dave Wilcoxson as Board Vice-Chair, Paula Endress as Board Secretary, Walter Zukowski as Board Attorney, Jerry Corcoran as Board Treasurer, Jeanne Hayden as Secretary to the Board, Tom Setchell as Board Representative to Illinois Community College Trustees Association (ICCTA) and Dave Wilcoxson as Board Alternate Representative to ICCTA.
Illinois Valley Community College moved one step closer to opening its renovated courtyard when the Board of Trustees approved $42,480 in a contract modification to the agreement with D.J. Sickley Co., Inc. for the removal and replacement of 4,248 square feet of additional concrete in the courtyard. This expense was already approved by the Illinois Community College Board as an allowable PHS expense.
The board heard from Dr. Jean Goodnow, IVCC President, concerning the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society and All-Illinois Academic Team and Student Advisory conference held in Springfield on April 5 and 6.
"I am very proud of the scholastic achievement of both Anni Moore and Tammi Phalen for their academic accomplishments and community contributions," said Dr. Goodnow.
"The purpose of Phi Theta Kappa is to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. Participating students are provided with the opportunity for the development of leadership and service in an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence," concluded Dr. Goodnow.
The board learned of the generosity of the Peru Rotary and the Illinois Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross as they are preparing with IVCC for the safety of the community through shelter supply bins. These bins will be housed on the IVCC campus in the event of a natural or manmade disaster.
The board granted the administration permission to begin bargaining a new contract with Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 138. The current SEIU contract is to expire on June 30, 2005.
The board tabled the contract with instructors assigned to the Sheridan Correctional Center.
In other business, the board:
- Authorized the business office to seek bids for computer printing supplies at an estimated cost of $35,000.
- Authorized the business office to accept the bid from Vanguard Contractors in the amount of $1,344,700 for protection, health and safety projects and the nursing program expansion renovations. The total amount approved for these projects (including A & E fees, reimbursables, testing, contingencies and an alternate bid) was $1,564,296
- Accepted the resignation of Larry Rousey, Director of Facilities.
- Approved the reappointment of Margaret Blair as the Sheridan Program Coordinator.
- Approved the appointment of Harry Bell, Jr. as the Welding Technology Instructor at Sheridan Correctional Center.
- Approved the appointment of Michael R. Duffy as the Welding Technology Instructor at Sheridan Correctional Center.
- Approved the appointment of Jeffrey Kepner as the World Languages Instructor assigned to the Division of Humanities, Fine Arts and Social Sciences for the 2005-2006 academic year.
- Accepted the resignation of Jimme D. Lansford, board trustee, effective April 30.